Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Will it all ever be normal?

It's been some time since my last post to you all, and I sort of rushed the last few because life just got in the way.

In February, we lost my husband's mother.  It was sudden and unexpected.  Her husband had passed away in 2003.  she leaves behind 3 boys.  2 in their 30s, and 1 who just turned 14.  He is now with us, and we are his parental guardians (thanks to the courts).  That's right.  I went from no children to a moody teenager.  Want to talk about a complete 180 of how you live your life?
With a pregnancy you at least have 9 months to prepare for your life to be turned upside down.  We were thrown to the wolves.

Things are finally starting to get back to "normal".  But really, will it ever been normal again?  I guess I just have to take it as, this is the new normal.

My 2 bedroom apartment that was plenty of room for me, my husband, and the dogs is now busting at the seams.  And will be until we can really get back on our feet.

My brain is all over the place right now, and I knew I shouldn't have started a post for the blog, but I can't help it.  I need to "say" it outloud.  This is my new normal.

ANYWAY...
Can we just discuss this new recipe I tried the other day?  I mean really?  SO GOOD.

 Creamy Chicken Marsala Pasta
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts; cut into bite sized pieces,
10-12 ounces sliced mushrooms ( i used canned mushrooms because I had them in the pantry)
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup Marsala cooking wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 pound dry pasta + water for cooking (whatever kind you'd like is fine)
1 cup Parmesan cheese + more for serving
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
salt and pepper to taste
minced, chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet until foaming. Cook chicken until lightly browned. Transfer to plate when done.

Boil water and cook pasta according to the directions.

Melt additional 1 tablespoon of butter in skillet, add garlic, mushrooms and onion and cook for about 6 minutes. Add cooked chicken back into the skillet. Add the Marsala, chicken broth and cream and bring to a boil. Simmer until sauce is is slightly thickened.

Drain pasta and reserve 1/2 cup cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Add the mushrooms and chicken mixture and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and cook until the pasta has absorbed some of the sauce, about 1 minute, adding the reserved cooking water as needed.

Season with salt and pepper and serve with additional Parmesan cheese and a garnish of chopped parsley.


No comments: